As a Software Consultant in the legal industry, I work with a lot of people who use Worldox daily. For the most part they are happy with the program. However, I’ often encounter users who “wished” it could do more. When I listen to their “wish list,” I always find myself saying, “It does that already,” follow by an impromptu training session. During initial training, it can be difficult for users to learn everything Worldox can do in a few hours. So I’ve compiled a list of common Worldox “wish list” features below.
Save notes about a document using “Comments”
Starting with some of the more basic features, the Comments section is the first one that comes to mind. I often see users leaving sticky notes on their desk or emailing someone regarding the progress on a document. These situations can be streamlined by using the comments section.
When saving a document, Worldox provides users a section to enter notes about the document. This could be used to communicate actions taken or required on that document, as well as descriptions for pictures or audio/video files. These comments are text searchable, which allow for non-text files to be found more easily.
Save & find documents faster with “Quick Profiles”
Users who save hundreds of documents to the same profile group rarely have any Quick Profiles setup. This means every time they save a file, they need to select the same drop downs. Quick Profiles allow you to profile a document much more quickly.
1) When saving a document, navigate to the Quick Profile menu > Add/Edit Quick Profiles.
2) Then “My Profiles,” select “New” and fill out the fields (just like a normal save).
3) Voila! Next time you save you can select the Quick Profile on the right-hand side of the profile card and be done in one click.
4) This same “quick” option works for searching. Open your general search tab and fill out all the necessary search fields. Then select “Options” and choose “Save Template”. Then name it and save it.
5) You can now run a search in one click by selecting that template from the search menu drop-down.
Search results or matter folders that you access often can also be saved as a Bookmark in Worldox. This is an easy ‘one-click’ way to pull up a matter or client.
1) To create a bookmark, navigate to the list or matter you want to bookmark. Under the Bookmarks field, select “Create.”
2) Choose “Folder,” then name the list. Make sure to check the “Pin to button bar.” Then click “Save.”
3) Now you can pull up the matter with a single click. The bookmarks, quick saves, and quick profiles can all be pinned to the button bar, edited or deleted. So when you are finished working on a matter you can change it or delete it.
Tabs & Filters
Tabs and filters are also widely underutilized by users in Worldox. Let us start with tabs. If you look right below the buttons bar there is a tab that is titled “new list”. This works just like the tabs in your internet browser. Simply click on it and you can generate a new list without affecting the previous one. Tabs allow you to have multiple searches open simultaneously.
Not only are tabs at the top of a list, but they appear at the bottom as well. These tabs have lots of useful features that allow you to narrow a search or view document properties. But the focus here is the “Tags” tab. With this tab selected you can narrow the search with the documents you select.
Each separate information category (starting with the “+” symbol) represents a profile attribute. Within each profile category, note how type sizes vary. The bigger the type, the more occurrences of this particular attribute are found on the list (relative to the other attributes in that profile category).
The “+” symbol to the left of each category means those items are represented on the list. Clicking on the “+” changes it to “-”, which indicates you want the selected items to be excluded in your list. This is extremely helpful in filtering large lists.
Categories allow you to organize specific files above and beyond the given profile structure. Common categories are ‘Edited’, ‘Proof-read’, ‘Needs signature’, ‘Sent’, and ‘Received’.
Categories can be made public, private or in a folder. Public categories need to be created by an Administrator and are available for everyone. Private categories are just available just for you. Folder level categories are just available to that folder.
Categories can be used as part of the tags filtering process mentioned above. Categories are likely not set up for you, so here’s how to set them up. Once you create a category, you can add files to them as needed.
2) Under the new Categories column, right-click on the document you want to assign a category to. Then click “Add/Edit Categories.”
3) After you select Add/Edit categories look for the green plus to add categories.
4) From here you can choose the icon and name the category.
5) Use this menu to create as many categories as you need.
6) Once your finished creating them, add them by right-clicking in the document line under the categories column. “Select Category>Personal>”Name of your category.”
The Salvage Bin
If you (or your administrator) don’t require users to salvage delete, then I’m sure you have had people waste time recreating a document that was accidentally deleted. Back to my story above, I went into the client profile, and instead of using the active section, I used the deleted. Then I ran a search for the Doc ID and was able to retrieve the document. The Salvage Bin can be a life-saver.
Finally, we have the “send-to” option. Perhaps you’ve seen this option when right-clicking on document in Worldox. The Send-to feature allows users to send documents to a specified location. Not all documents are sent through e-mail, sometimes you need to use a CD-ROM or USB flash drive. This feature allows users to send a copy of that document to a local location like your desktop. From here, you can put it on a CD-ROM or flash drive. Just make sure you’re copying the document, otherwise you’ll be moving the actual document out of Worldox.
These cover many of the common “wish list” items I get from clients. With this knowledge, you should be able to search and save with greater efficiency!